Moving elderly parents to a new home is no easy task for anyone. Many seniors have lived in their home for decades and have strong attachments to the physical space, as well as the memories they’ve made within it.
Here are the five ways you can help seniors adjust to moving to a new home.
1. Encourage Them to Socialize – An unfamiliar environment can be intimidating for anyone. After you’ve moved your parents to their new home, encourage them to mingle and socialize with their new neighbors so they can get through the adjustment period easier. However, avoid pushing them if they seem uninterested as they may need more time to adjust to their new surroundings.
2. Acknowledge Their Feelings of Loss – When helping them adjust to their new home, make sure that you acknowledge their feelings of loss and do your best to help them cope with these feelings.
3. Help Them Unpack – Another way to provide caring transitions is to help your elderly parents unpack. Similar to socializing, avoid pushing them to get rid of sentimental items as they may get anxious or upset if you do.
4. Help Decorate – When younger family members are involved in the decorating process, the elderly members may feel more excited about the change. You can also use this time to bond with your family.
5. Stay in Touch – Don’t forget to keep in touch. It may not seem like it but a once a week visit or a twice a week phone call can easily lift up their spirits.
Make your search for elderly moving services easier by turning to Busy Buddies, Inc. When it comes to your packing and declutter your home needs, we are the company to approach and we won’t let you down! Give us a call at (703) 682-0033 or fill out our contact form to get a free estimate. We serve homeowners in Arlington, VA, and other nearby areas.