Moving is expensive–there’s no getting around it. However, by preparing a detailed budget, you can plan for the move and ensure that you have enough funds to complete your move without any strain. Today, the senior move managers at Busy Buddies share some tips to help you prepare a detailed and accurate moving budget.
We recommend using Microsoft Word or Excel to create your budget template. If you want something more traditional, you can also buy a bookkeeper’s record book and just customize the column titles according to your preference.
Hiring Professional Movers
If you’re hiring a senior moving company, you should expect to pay for the following:
- Moving company fee – Consists of fuel charges and labor
- Additional insurance – If your household items are valuable, you can purchase additional insurance
- Extra services – Some workers may ask for separate payments when moving a piano or preparing appliances.
- Claims – You should add a 5% contingency rate for damages.
- Packing Services – Some moving companies offer this at an additional fee.
Moving on Your Own
Even if you’ve decided not to hire movers, you will still need to budget for certain expenses. These include:
- Rental truck and fuel – You will be paying according to size of the truck and the distance you’ll be driving
- Insurance – This is to protect your valuables in case anything is damaged during the move
- Packing supplies – The cost of moving boxes, bubble wrap and tape add up quickly, so make sure to leave room for this in your budget.
- Emergency fund – Always set aside a fund for emergencies or unexpected costs.
If you’re looking for professional moving services, including downsizing help for seniors, turn to Busy Buddies. We’ll be happy to serve you with care. Call us today at (703) 682-0033 or fill out our contact form for a consultation. We serve clients in Arlington, VA.